Friday, August 10, 2012

Food, Family and Fraud

Hej!

So, I was going to do a post weekly, but via request of some annoying family member (hi daddy <3 ) I guess I can write another one now. It is Friday afternoon and my sister, my mom and I will be leaving in an hour to catch a train to go and visit her sister's family. I'll have to add pictures later because they are all just adorable and pretty. Danish people generally are just beautiful. It's not fair. Everyone here also has a garden. I know that's kind of random, but in every yard I see roses and vegetables and lots of other pretty plants. Why doesn't Jersey have any gardens like these??? Oh yea, DEER. Well, unless you wrap your plants in heinous nets or spray them with coyote pee, it's quite difficult to keep deer away. Rawr.

This week started out kind of rough. I went to check my bank account randomly, and POOF! Where the hell did all my money go?!?! Someone horribly raided and abused my bank account in the form of taking out large sums of money. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could do this since I still have my card physically with me. Whatever. My bank was kind enough to refund me all of my stolen money. So thank goodness for that.

After that whole ordeal, I went to go see Batman: The Dark Knight Rises. BEST. MOVIE. EVER. Ok, maybe not the best movie EVER ever, Titanic won my heart first, but Batman was still pretty damn good. It may have been 165 minutes long, but it went quickly. That's when you know it's a good movie. I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Now, I really can't help but talk about this next topic. Danish food. It's AMAZING, and sooo much better than American food in every way (in my opinion at least). Everything is fresh and not processed. I'm currently living in cowland, and every cow that I've seen is eating GRASS, not corn, GRASS. What a concept. Maybe that's why their food tastes so good. Speaking of cows. If you ever come to Denmark yourself and go to the more rural areas, BEWARE THE BIG FIELDS! Every now and then you will be driving along when all of a sudden, WHAM, you are hit with the lovely stench of cow manure. And it doesn't go away for about 5 minutes ... It's a long 5 minutes. Farmers fertilize their crops with fresh cow waste, and while the crops love it, your nose will not.

Anyway!!! Thanks to google, I will post some pictures of danish cusine. I picked the pictures that were the most accurate to what I have been eating.


This is a typical lunch. Danes eat this super healthy brown grain bread, they call it rye bread (very different from our rye bread). I used to hate it, but it's really grown on me. You can put a variety of meats on it, or cheese, or "lopesti." That is NOT the correct spelling, but that is how you pronounce it. Whatever you do, don't ask what it actually is. Just eat it. It tastes good. I promise ;)

This is another lunch meal. Bread, mayonnaise, cucumber, tomato, and shrimp! These tiny shrimps are quite popular. Very tasty.

Mmmmmmm, danish hot dogs. They look quite different from the average Hebrew National hot dog, but they taste sooooo much better. They are not as salty and they have much more flavor. Once you've had one, you will never think of American hot dogs the same again.

This is a good breakfast/treat sandwich. Jelly with chocolate on top. I loveee this chocolate! It is made special for sandwiches (or a midnight chocolate craving ;) ). They are very thin, rectangular pieces of chocolate, made perfect for stacking on bread.

Now this is an all-time favorite breakfast OR dessert. Depends on what you're cravin'. It's called aebleskiver (and that is the correct spelling). Essentially, they are small pancake balls. You can dip them in sugar, jelly, or nutella. You have to cook them in this really interesting pan that has crater holes in it so that you can get the round shape.


OKAY! I have to run now otherwise I will miss my train!!! Tootles =)

xoxo, 
Sarah

P.S. If you have any questions or comments please don't hesitate to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment